Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Hypothermia Runners Beware: Be Safe and Not Sorry


Yesterday, Morning I was having a conversation with a ultra marathon runner at my gym. He was discussing with me that this past weekend he had a 50k race in the North Georgia Mountains. For those that are new to running such as myself that is 30miles. I myself am still learning the Runner language.  He shared with me he did not complete the race he stop at 20 miles. The reason, he could feel hypothermia started to settle in his indication was, trying to touch his little finger to his thumb and was not able to do so. As we had our 6:00am discussion he told me that health and safety first at all times. I thought to myself how important this conversation was that we had, In my discussions with some of my running groups online and fellow runners they become so "Gung Ho" to prove that they can run in poor conditions. At times I think it can even become a competiveness between runners to say " If you can do it", I can do it ". This ultra marathoner I talk with always shares such great insight. He is in his 60's plus and have well over 80 medals. Since the weather has been a challenge in the morning for my 5am outdoor runs I schedule the runs on the treadmill, so am not trying to be super girl and run under 30degrees weather to train, but when it is the race, I will take my A game and get out there but will listen to my body. Rookie Runners and Advance Runners beware listen to your body. Run your race and pace.
Your Personal Cheerleader,
Ronnita

No comments:

Post a Comment